Botox Cosmetic is considered the Gold Standard of wrinkle-reducing injectables; and for years, it was the only Botulinum Toxin available. In the last decade, however, new players have burst onto the scene, offering patients a chance to pick their ‘poison’. While the three toxins (Botox, Xeomin, Dysport) are statistically similar, there are subtle differences when compared side-by-side.
- Originally approved to treat Stibismus in 1989
- Onset of results between 4-7 days
- Results last up to four months
- The most expensive Botulinum Toxin
- $12 per unit, average
- No downtime required
- Other uses include migraines, excessive sweating, and bladder spasms
- Approved for use in 2009
- The fastest onset of results (1-3 days)
- Fewer additives than Botox
- High diffusion rate (spreads out more after injections)
- Diffusion rate gives a slight advantage in treating large areas such as the forehead.
- Results may last slightly longer than Botox
- Slightly less expensive than Botox and Xeomin
- Approved for use in 2011
- Does not require refrigeration
- “Naked” – does not contain any additives
- Less risk of allergic reactions
- Slowest onset of action (7-10 days)
- High diffusion rate
- Potentially burns less during injections
- Costs about the same as Botox
The bottom line: Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport have an identical mechanism of action and are more similar than different; one is not better overall. The key to a successful Botulinum Toxin treatment always lies in the provider’s experience with the product and their knowledge of facial anatomy.
In the near future, patients can look forward to even more choices in Botulinum Toxin brands. Purtox, RT001, Cosmetox, and the Next-Generation Dysport are all in clinical trials; some are very close to FDA approval.
At Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery, Botulinum Toxin injections are always provided by the physician. This guarantees patients will receive safe, consistent, and natural looking results. With over 24 years of experience, Dr. Vitenas is the leading cosmetic surgeon in the Houston area. Call the office at (281) 407-9549 to schedule an initial appointment.