When Botox came on to the market approximately ten to fifteen years ago, it was used primarily for wrinkle reduction in middle aged women. As its results became more public and its safety was assured, the use of Botox began to spread, and it is now one of the most common cosmetic procedures in the country. The number of patients seeking Botox Cosmetic treatments has even grown to include men, seniors, and millennials.
A Short History of Botox Treatments
The treatment was first discovered for wrinkle reduction by Canadian dermatologists, who used it to treat an unrelated condition of the eyes. They soon noticed that Frown Lines went away after the treatment. These doctors also noticed their patients showed a reduction in her Crow’s Feet when Botox was injected around the eyes. This experiment initiated the earliest stages of Botox treatments for anti-aging purposes.
Other Uses for Botox
Although it began with that premise, Botox Cosmetic is no longer used just for wrinkle reduction. Many cosmetic surgeons and healthcare professionals found that it can be useful in other areas including:
- Changing facial shape – Botox Cosmetic can be used to alter a patient’s facial shape, including elevating the brow, evening out the brow, decreasing fullness in those with square jaws, and other similar purposes.
- Changing the mouth – One of the most popular areas to treat with Botox is the mouth, turning up the corners of the mouth up in patients with “resting frowns.” Botox can also treat signs of aging around the mouth.
- Dental uses – Patients with “gummy smiles,” aka smiles that show too much gum and not enough teeth, have also found Botox to be a safe and effective treatment.
- For the neck – Those who have platysmal bands of the neck (the appearance of ‘rubber band’ type lines under the neck, running from the collarbone to the jaw) can also see a reduction with Botox.
- Better eyesight – Those with crossed eyes or squinting issues may have Botox injected as a treatment option, which is especially effective if the squint develops quickly, without an obvious reason. Botox weakens the muscle and allows the eyes realign themselves.
In other cases, Botox can also be used in medical treatments such as headaches, urinary incontinence, excessive sweating, for muscle spasms and muscle pain, palsy symptoms, and tremors.
Botox for Wrinkle Prevention
In younger patients, Botox is also used as a preemptive treatment to prevent the formation of wrinkles and other signs of aging. Although some practitioners recommend having their younger patients start Botox Cosmetic treatments in their late twenties to prevent deep wrinkles from developing, it is important that these patients be conservative in the amount injected. Another important consideration is the selection of an experienced medical professional who works with the patient to create an individualized treatment plan.
Botox in Houston
Always choose an experienced Botox Cosmetic provider. Dr. Vitenas has over 26 years of noninvasive experience, as well as unmatched surgical skill. If you live in the Houston area, and are wondering if Botox is right for you, contact our office at (281) 407-9549 for more information. You can also schedule a complimentary Botox Cosmetic appointment at Mirror Mirror Beauty Boutique.